Green Point Cricket Club’s Zac Elkin welcomed a first-class debut for Western Province on day one of this week’s CSA 3-Day Provincial Cup fixture against South Western Districts at Newlands in Cape Town on Thursday.
Elkin earned two List A appearances for Western Province in 2018 and 2019. He struck 39 and 73 not out against Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal, respectively, in those matches.
He was the second-highest run-scorer during the 2018-19 Western Province Cricket Association first division A.
In the ongoing 2019-20 WPCA first division A, he is the top run-scorer. He has collected 570 runs at an average of 71.2. The tally includes three centuries and two half-tons.
Elkin played four first-class matches for Cardiff Marylebone Cricket Club University several years ago.
The right-handed Elkin opened the batting alongside Rondebosch Cricket Club’s Tayo Walbrugh on Thursday.
Other openers used by WP in first-class cricket this season
- Mujaahid Toffar (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Givon Christian (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Jack Newby (University of Cape Town Cricket Club)
- Matthew Kleinveldt (Milnerton Cricket Club)
- Pieter Malan (Durbanville Cricket Club)
Claremont Cricket Club’s Josh Breed, Durbanville Cricket Club’s Carlos Koyana and Western Province Cricket Club’s Junaid Dawood were named in the 14-man squad, but not the final XI.
Western Province XI
- Zac Elkin (Green Point Cricket Club)
- Tayo Walbrugh (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Andre Malan (Durbanville Cricket Club)
- Qaasim Adams (United Cricket Club)
- Jesse Christensen (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Bonga Makaka (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Isaac Dikgale (Victoria Cricket Club)
- Justin Dill (Bellville Cricket Club)
- Ryan Klein (Western Province Cricket Club)
- David Schierhout (Primrose Cricket Club)
- Mihlali Mpongwana (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)