The full ‘WP Club XI’ squad to play three matches against Western Province at the Vineyard Oval in Claremont has been confirmed.
- Mark Adrianatos (Brackenfell Cricket Club)
- Dewald Botha (Bellville Cricket Club)
- Uwe Birkenstock (Bellville Cricket Club)
- James Cameron-Dow (Claremont Cricket Club)
- Kyle Williamson (Claremont Cricket Club)
- Joshua Savage (Ottoman Cricket Club)
- Taariq Behardien (Ottoman Cricket Club)
- Sulaiman Jaffar (Strandfontein Cricket Club)
- Wesley Bedja (Western Province Cricket Club)
- Ryan Klein (Western Province Cricket Club)
- Ridaa Isaacs (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Tommy Jansen (United Cricket Club)
- Mujahid Behardien (United Cricket Club)
- Mangaliso Mthiya (Langa Cricket Club)
Bellville Cricket Club all-rounder Lenert van Wyk, who was the top-scorer in the 2017-18 Western Province Cricket Association premier league, was also invited – but is unavailable due to an injured wrist. The squad will be coached by Durbanville Cricket Club’s Manny Senger.
A two-day fixture on 24 and 25 February 2018 will be followed by limited-overs encounters on 2 and 3 March 2018.
“A squad will be selected based on performances from the past season across the various leagues like the premier league and the first division A,” said WPCA cricket services manager Clinton du Preez earlier this year.
“This is an attempt to identify players for our winter programme in preparation for the new season. We want to start the process now and have these matches played every season.
“Each player will get a representative cap and shirt for the club XI.”
The remainder of the 2017-18 WPCA premier league, first, second, third and reserve division season was cancelled at the end of January. The decision came amid the ongoing drought across Cape Town and surrounds, where several fields have been left in disrepair due to a severe lack of water.
Western Province currently occupy second position in pool A of the Sunfoil 3-Day Cup – and recently beat Gauteng by 10 wickets in a cross-pool fixture. Their next first-class outing will be against South Western Districts in mid-March.