Proteas fast bowler Anrich Nortje has been ruled out of the Pretoria Capitals’ 2024 SA20 campaign.
Nortje will remain sidelined by a back injury sustained in September 2023.
“Capitals seamer Anrich Nortje will miss out on season two of the SA20 as he continues his recovery from an injury. The Pretoria family wishes him a speedy recovery,” read a statement from the franchise.
Fellow fast bowler Hardus Viljoen has replaced Nortje in the Capitals’ squad.
The Capitals have also lost batsman Steve Stolk, who will instead represent South Africa Under-19 at this year’s Under-19 World Cup.
Earlier this week, Proteas team-mate Sisanda Magala withdrew from the Sunrisers Eastern Cape squad for this year’s SA20. He, too, is sidelined by injury.
The Sunrisers Eastern Cape are the reigning SA20 champions. They beat the Pretoria Capitals in last year’s final.
“The winners of the competition, who will be crowned at Newlands on 10 February, are set to walk away with a handsome R34 million,” read a statement from the SA20 this week.
“The runners-up will claim a R16.25 million share of the prize money, with third and fourth place receiving R8.9 million and R7.85 million, respectively. Fifth and sixth place will also receive R2.5 million and R2 million each.”
The 2024 SA20 will start on 10 January, when the Sunrisers Eastern Cape play the Joburg Super Kings at St George’s Park in Port Elizabeth.
MORE latest SA20 news
- SA20 give 2024 final to Newlands, Cape Town
- Matthew Boast, Dayyaan Galiem the biggest buys at SA20 auction – R1.6 million each
- Full list of final 2024 SA20 squads after 2023 player auction
- Nicholas Pooran joins Durban’s Super Giants for 2024 SA20
- Paarl Royals sign West Indies all-rounder Fabian Allen
- Robin Peterson replaces Simon Katich as MI Cape Town head coach