MI New York beat the Seattle Orcas by seven wickets in this week’s Major League Cricket final in the United States of America.
South Africans Kagiso Rabada and Dewald Brevis were in the MI New York XI for the final.
Former Proteas spinner Robin Peterson coached MI New York.
The Seattle Orcas had Proteas trio Wayne Parnell, Heinrich Klaasen and Quinton de Kock.
West Indian batsman Nicholas Pooran struck 147 not out in the final to secure the maiden MLC title for MI New York.
“As a professional, losing hurts every time. It did not look like Pooran would mishit a ball today. The first season of MLC has gone really well. Credit to everyone who has organised it. Credit to our owners and the management for picking this team and giving us the freedom to play this brand of cricket,” said Parnell, who captained the Orcas, after the final.
Brevis added: “Everything works out as it should. Great to be a part of the MLC. We are grateful it worked out. Just ready to celebrate now. It is a great learning curve, you just keep learning. That is how you keep developing.”
South Africa’s top performers at 2023 MLC
Top SA run-scorers
- Quinton de Kock (Seattle Orcas): 264 runs in 7 innings
- Heinrich Klaasen (Seattle Orcas): 235 runs in 6 innings
- Dewald Brevis (MI New York): 165 runs in 5 innings
Top SA wicket-takers
- Wayne Parnell (Seattle Orcas): 9 wickets in 6 matches
- Gerald Coetzee (Texas Super Kings): 8 wickets in 5 matches
- Marco Jansen (Washington Freedom): 7 wickets in 6 matches