Primrose Cricket Club spinner David Schierhout welcomed a first-class debut on day one of Western Province’s CSA 3-Day Provincial Cup fixture against KwaZulu-Natal at Durbanville Cricket Club on Thursday.
Schierhout is among the most prolific wicket-takers in the 2019-20 Western Province Cricket Association first division A, having taken 19 in nine innings. The talented left-armer was the highest wicket taker in the 2018-19 WPCA first division A, too.
His first over in first-class cricket yielded two wickets, as KwaZulu-Natal lower-order batsmen Bradley Porteous and Smangaliso Nhlebela were bowled.
Bellville Cricket Club all-rounder Justin Dill captained the XI in the absence of regular captain Qaasim Adams, who is with the Cape Cobras for this week’s 4-Day Domestic Series fixture against the Knights at Boland Park.
Rondebosch Cricket Club’s Bonga Makaka returned to the XI. University of Western Cape Cricket Club fast bowler Kyle Pluke was named 12th man.
Western Province XI
- Justin Dill (Bellville Cricket Club)
- Carlos Koyana (Durbanville Cricket Club)
- Jack Newby (University of Cape Town Cricket Club)
- Bonga Makaka (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Jesse Christensen (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Givon Christian (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Diego du Plessis (Victoria Cricket Club)
- Ryan Klein (Western Province Cricket Club)
- David Schierhout (Primrose Cricket Club)
- Tayo Walbrugh (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Mihlali Mpongwana (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)