Durban’s Super Giants beat MI Cape Town by 11 runs in Thursday’s rain-affected SA20 fixture at Kingsmead.
MI Cape Town posted a final total of 207 for five in 20 overs. Opener Ryan Rickelton top-scored with 87 from 51 deliveries, including six fours and six sixes. Seamer Keemo Paul took two wickets.
Durban’s Super Giants responded with 177 for six in 16.3 overs – ahead of the required run rate – before rain ended the match. Batsman Heinrich Klaasen struck 85 from 35 deliveries, including four fours and eight sixes. Fast bowler Kagiso Rabada took two wickets.
Klaasen, who recently retired from Test cricket, was Durban’s Super Giants leading run-scorer with 363 in nine innings in last year’s inaugural SA20.
Wednesday’s tournament opener between the Sunrisers Eastern Cape and Joburg Super Kings at St George’s Park in Port Elizabeth was washed out without a delivery bowled.
The Paarl Royals will host the Pretoria Capitals at Boland Park in Friday’s SA20 fixture.
The Sunrisers are the reigning SA20 champions. They beat the Capitals in 2023’s final.
MORE latest SA20 news
- UPDATED SA20 teams, squads and players – 11 January 2024
- Pretoria Capitals lose Anrich Nortje for 2024 SA20
- Lauren Agenbag and Shandre Fritz join SA20 match officials
- Durban’s Super Giants sign Marcus Stoinis and Richard Gleeson
- Shane Bond replaces JP Duminy at Paarl Royals for SA20
- Sunrisers Eastern Cape lose Sisanda Magala for SA20 title defence
- Keith Dudgeon and Nqaba Peter join Paarl Royals in SA20
- Melissa Reddy among commentary team for SA20
- SA20 give 2024 final to Newlands, Cape Town
- Matthew Boast, Dayyaan Galiem biggest buys at SA20 auction – R1.6 million each