Rylands Cricket Club batsman Jack Newby struck a century on day one of Western Province’s CSA 3-Day Provincial Cup fixture against the Northern Cape in Kimberley on Tuesday.
Newby ended with 102 in a score of 212 for four. His stay spanned 224 deliveries and was lined with seven fours and one six.
Opener Newby reached three figures by slog-sweeping left-arm spinner Ernest Kemm over midwicket for six.
He was supported by middle-order trio Bonga Makaka (24), Andre Malan (45) and Jesse Christensen (14 not out), after captain Zak Elkin had fallen for 12.
The century is the third of Newby’s first-class career, which started three years ago. His highest score is 159 not out, gathered against KwaZulu-Natal Inland in Cape Town in 2019. The first was 132 against Easterns in Cape Town in 2018.
He joined Rylands Cricket Club from the University of Cape Town Cricket Club prior to the 2020-21 Western Province Cricket Association premier league, which was eventually cancelled amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Western Province XI also features first-class debutant Lehan Botha. Cape Cobras wicketkeeper Brendon Louw and former Limpopo batsman Lerato Kgoatle were also named in the team.
Western Province XI
- Zac Elkin (captain, Green Point Cricket Club)
- Andre Malan (Durbanville Cricket Club)
- Bonga Makaka (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Brendon Louw (Green Point Cricket Club)
- David Schierhout (Primrose Cricket Club)
- Jack Newby (Rylands Cricket Club)
- Jesse Christensen (Rondebosch Cricket Club)
- Lerato Kgoatle (Cape Town Cricket Club)
- Ryan Klein (Western Province Cricket Club)
- Mihlali Mpongwana (University of the Western Cape Cricket Club)
- Lehan Botha (Western Province Cricket Club)