South Africa A were bowled out for 274 after winning the toss and electing to bat first on day one of this week’s series decider against West Indies A at Mangaung Oval in Bloemfontein.
Middle-order batsman Khaya Zondo hit 70 and captain Neil Brand 62.
West Indies A replied with 17 for one to reduce the first-innings deficit to 257.
South Africa A returned batsmen David Bedingham and Zubayr Hamza to the playing XI on Tuesday.
West Indies A won the series opener at Willowmoore Park in Benoni.
South Africa A won the second match of the series at Buffalo Park in East London.
MORE latest SA cricket news
- Nandre Burger on Proteas inclusion: Being rewarded is a privilege and honour
- Mihlali Mpongwana on selection for Proteas: I didn’t think it would come this soon
- Neil Brand emerges as candidate to captain Proteas in New Zealand
- Proteas name Test, ODI, T20I squads for India series – multiple recalls and new caps
- 5 talking points after South Africa A squad announcement