The Mumbai Indians bought South African fast bowler Marco Jansen at Thursday’s player auction, ahead of the 2021 Indian Premier League.
Jansen was purchased for approximately R400,000 ($27,000).
The 20-year-old Warriors star was with the Proteas squad for the recent Test series against Pakistan.
The tall left-armer will represent the most successful franchise in the history of the IPL. Mumbai have five titles and are the reigning champions.
New Zealand fast bowler Adam Milne and Australian all-rounder Nathan Coulter-Nile were among Mumbai’s other purchases at this week’s auction.
Several other South Africans have played for Mumbai, including ODI and T20I captain Quinton de Kock.
Unsold SA players at 2021 IPL auction
- Rassie van der Dussen
- Wayne Parnell
- Beuran Hendricks
- Hardus Viljoen
- Andile Phehlukwayo
- Daryn Dupavillon
- Morne Morkel
- George Linde
- Dwaine Pretorious
- David Wiese
- Gerald Coetzee
- Jacques Snyman
SA players retained by IPL franchises
- Faf Du Plessis (Chennai Super Kings)
- Lungi Ngidi (Chennai Super Kings)
- Kagiso Rabada (Delhi Capitals)
- Anrich Nortje (Delhi Capitals)
- Quinton De Kock (Mumbai Indians)
- David Miller (Rajasthan Royals)
- AB De Villiers (Royal Challengers Bangalore)