South Africa debuted Western Province and Green Point Cricket Club batsman Tony de Zorzi on day one of this week’s first Test against the West Indies at SuperSport Park in Centurion.
The Proteas also debuted Knights seamer Gerald Coetzee – and recalled batsmen Keegan Petersen and Aiden Markram and spinning all-rounder Senuran Muthusamy.
Spinners Simon Harmer and Keshav Maharaj, batsman Ryan Rickelton and all-rounder Wiaan Mulder were named in the squad, but not the playing XI.
Proteas captain Temba Bavuma won the toss and opted to bat first.
“Conditions on the slow side. But once the sun comes up, things should ease in. I feel nervous to be honest, I was hoping we would lose the toss and have to field,” said Bavuma.
“Don’t really know what to expect, but we will try to do our best. Guys have done well in preparations. Chat has been similar to what it was in the ODI series against England, about how we want to play.”
South Africa playing XI
- Dean Elgar
- Aiden Markram
- Tony de Zorzi
- Temba Bavuma (captain)
- Keegan Petersen
- Heinrich Klaasen (wicketkeeper)
- Senuran Muthusamy
- Marco Jansen
- Anrich Nortje
- Kagiso Rabada
- Gerald Coetzee
More SA cricket news
- The 5 obvious Proteas’ Test exclusions – and why
- Why Shukri Conrad preferred Heinrich Klaasen to Kyle Verreynne
- Theunis de Bruyn retires from international cricket
- JP Duminy to succeed Justin Sammons as Proteas batting coach
- Proteas name Temba Bavuma Test captain and include Tony de Zorzi
- CSA remove convenor of selectors Victor Mpitsang