All-rounder Saleem Mukuddem has been sidelined by injury and will likely miss South Africa’s Over-50 World Cup fixture against United Arab Emirates at Claremont Cricket Club on Wednesday.
Mukuddem was injured during Monday’s defeat to England at the Groot Drakenstein Games Club.
Opening batsman Brandon Nash has been absent due to illness, but is anticipated to return for the fixture against the UAE. Nash will likely replace fellow opener Andre Peters.
Monday’s defeat was South Africa’s first in the 2023 Over-50 World Cup. They had previously beaten India, Pakistan, Wales and Namibia.
Mukuddem starred in the win over Pakistan, taking five wickets and scoring a half-century.
South Africa currently share first position with England in group B. They both have eight points.
South Africa are captained by former Proteas batsman Louis Koen. Fellow former Proteas Alan Dawson and Clive Eksteen are in the South Africa squad.
More Over-50 World Cup news
- Over-50 World Cup, day 6 wrap: SA lose to England, USA beat NZ
- Over-50 World Cup wrap, day 5: Murray Goodwin hits ton in win over Sri Lanka
- Over-50 World Cup wrap, day 4: Craig Lyons stars as SA beat Wales
- Over-50 World Cup, day 3 wrap: Kaiser Gantsho, Louis Koen star as SA beat Namibia
- Over-50 World Cup, day 2 wrap: Saleem Mukuddem stars as SA beat Pakistan
- Over-50 World Cup, day 1 wrap: SA beat India, 2 centurions for England
- Andrew Hore breaks New Zealand Over-50 record at Cape Town Cricket Club
- 2023 Over-50 World Cup fixtures – 56 matches, 23 venues, 14 squads, 10 match days
- Full squads for 2023 Over-50 World Cup – Murray Goodwin and more
- Who are the former Test, ODI and T20I cricketers at the Over-50 World Cup in SA?