Fast bowler Siya Plaatjie has moved to the Warriors on a high performance contract ahead of South Africa’s 2022-23 domestic season.
Plaatjie was capped at List A level by Western Province earlier this year – and was recently part of Western Province Cricket Club’s squad for the T20 Community Cup.
🔔 Get Club Cricket SA news on Whatsapp – club cricket news straight to your phone. User comments disabled, so no spam – just relevant news.
Multiple moves for Matthews
Leg-spinner Dyllan Matthews, meanwhile, has returned to the Warriors. He made five List A appearances for the Warriors in 2020 and, earlier this year, played for KwaZulu-Natal Inland in division two of the One Day Cup and 4-Day Domestic Series.
Matthews has also played for the Cape Cobras and Lions at franchise level – and Easterns and North West in provincial cricket. At 25 years old, he has first-class or List A experience for six teams – and also represented the Nelson Mandela Bay Giants in the Mzansi Super League.
What Warriors head coach Robin Peterson said
All-rounder Tiaan van Vuuren and batsman Josh Chippendale, like Plaatjie and Matthews, has been given a high performance contract from the Warriors.
Chippendale played for the Western Province Colts and debuted for the Warriors in the One Day Cup during the 2021-22 season.
“When we put a youngster out there, it is not a case of us hoping, it is a case of us believing that you can do something and make a difference for us in the game,” Peterson told the HeraldLIVE.
“With Glenton Stuurman, Marco Jansen and Anrich Nortje, who are the core of our bowling resources, missing for a large part of last season, it gave us an opportunity to give guys like Tiaan a chance, so they can build experience.”
Warriors senior contracts
The Warriors, meanwhile, have confirmed the players contracted at senior level ahead of the 2022-23 season.
The 16-man list includes former Western Province and Boland seamer Ziyaad Abrahams, whose move was confirmed last week.
- Matthew Breetzke
- Wihan Lubbe
- Sinethemba Qeshile
- Beyers Swanepoel
- Jordan Hermann
- Marco Jansen
- Glenton Stuurman
- Rudi Second
- Akhona Mnyaka
- Lesiba Ngoepe
- Diego Rosier
- Tristan Stubbs
- Ziyaad Abrahams
- Kgaudisa Molefe
- Mthiwekhaya Nabe
- Tsepo Ndwandwa
More latest SA cricket news
- UPDATED: SA domestic player transfers
- WP contract Ethan Cunningham
- Kieran Kenny leaves WP
- Matthew Christensen moves To SWD
- Dane Paterson rejoins WP
- Boland contract Hlomla Hanabe
- Knights sign Jason Raubenheimer
- North West contract Khanya Contani
- Ziyaad Abrahams moves to Warriors
- KZN Inland sign Malcolm Nofal
- Dilivio Ridgaard moves to KZNI
- Thula Ngcobo joins Mpumalanga
- Ruan Haasbroek exits Lions
- Jurie Snyman joins Mpumalanga
- Lizo Makosi leaves Warriors
- Dolphins contract Andile Simela
- Tshepo Ntuli joins Northern Cape
- Boland sign Farhaan Behardien
- Kelly Smuts goes to Northern Cape
- Jordan Hermann leaves Titans
- Khwezi Gumede exits Easterns
- Cameron Delport joins Lions
- Warriors sign Beyers Swanepoel
- Jonathan Vandiar leaves Heat
- Gihahn Cloete returns to Knights
- Eddie Moore leaves Warriors
- Jon-Jon Smuts leaves Warriors
- Josh Chippendale joins Warriors