Titans Over-40 batsmen Quintin Pretorius and Dieter Munnik – and bowler Piet Botha – were not included in the South Africa Over-40 squad announced on Saturday.
Titans Over-40 are the only team not to have at least one representative in the 16-man South Africa Over-40 squad named after early May 2023’s inter-provincial tournament in Johannesburg. Titans Over-40 finished in fifth position in the eight-team tournament.
Pretorius and Munnik were the third- and fifth-highest run-scorer, respectively. They were two of only three batsmen to score a century at the tournament. Botha was the second-highest wicket-taker.
“The Veterans Cricket Association of South Africa’s over-40 inter-provincial tournament is our our flagship provincial event of the year. There is an expectation that player performances during this tournament will primarily contribute to the selection panel’s decisions in selecting the South Africa Over-40 squad,” said Titans Veterans Cricket Association chairperson Pierre Coetzer.
“I’m not sure how it happened that players were overlooked, but rest assured we will discuss and debate this with the VCASA executive committee and the national selection panel.”
South Africa Over-40 squad
- Ashwell Prince (captain, Western Province Over-40)
- Warren Dugmore (vice-captain, Lions Over-40)
- Pieter Booysen (East Rand Over-40)
- Brandon Buckley (Lions Over-40)
- Jaco Castle (Western Province Over-40)
- Yasser Ditta (Lions Over-40)
- Johan Fourie (Lions Over-40)
- Charl Groenewald (Dolphins Over-40)
- Wayne Hendricks (Western Province Over-40)
- Nathan Jones (Eastern Province Over-40)
- Lundi Mbane (Border Over-40)
- Werner Moolman (Western Province Over-40)
- Kyle Smit (East Rand Over-40)
- Dan Styer (Western Province Over-40)
- Abdul-aziz Temoor (Boland Over-40)
- Ridiwaan Williams (Western Province Over-40)