Advocate Dumisa Ntsebeza has effectively supported former Proteas spinner Paul Adams’ decision not to testify against head coach Mark Boucher.
Ntsebeza is Cricket South Africa’s transformation ombudsman and presided over last year’s social justice and nation-building (SJN) hearings.
During the SJN hearings, Adams alleged racial discrimination in the Proteas squad of the late 1990s and early 2000s. He said he was being nicknamed “brown s***” by team-mates at the time, including Boucher.
Late last week, Adams insisted there was “no intention to single out Boucher” at the SJN hearings. Adams, like former Proteas coach Enoch Nkwe, decided not to testify against Boucher.
Two days later, Cricket South Africa dropped all charges of gross misconduct related to racial issues against Boucher.
“You can’t blame Paul, especially in light of the statement he issued,” Ntsebeza told Sport24.
“I find myself in agreement with him in rejecting the calls for him to testify. He made it very clear what the SJN project was all about and that he found a lot of satisfaction from it in terms of providing a platform to air their views.
“I can’t agree with him more. I don’t know if it was because he saw what happened to Boucher or the exoneration of Graeme Smith] that prompted him to not testify.”
🔔 Get Club Cricket SA news on Whatsapp – club cricket news straight to your phone. User comments disabled, so no spam – just relevant news.
More latest SA cricket news
- UPDATED: SA domestic player transfers
- WP contract Ethan Cunningham
- Kieran Kenny leaves WP
- Matthew Christensen moves To SWD
- Dane Paterson rejoins WP
- Boland contract Hlomla Hanabe
- Knights sign Jason Raubenheimer
- North West contract Khanya Contani
- Ziyaad Abrahams moves to Warriors
- KZN Inland sign Malcolm Nofal
- Dilivio Ridgaard moves to KZNI
- Thula Ngcobo joins Mpumalanga
- Ruan Haasbroek exits Lions
- Jurie Snyman joins Mpumalanga
- Lizo Makosi leaves Warriors
- Dolphins contract Andile Simela
- Tshepo Ntuli joins Northern Cape
- Boland sign Farhaan Behardien
- Kelly Smuts goes to Northern Cape
- Jordan Hermann leaves Titans
- Khwezi Gumede exits Easterns
- Cameron Delport joins Lions
- Warriors sign Beyers Swanepoel
- Jonathan Vandiar leaves Heat
- Gihahn Cloete returns to Knights
- Eddie Moore leaves Warriors
- Jon-Jon Smuts leaves Warriors
- Josh Chippendale joins Warriors